Connect with us


Israel-Hamas truce begins, hostages to be released

A pause in the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza starts on Friday morning and an exchange of hostages and prisoners will follow hours later, mediator Qatar said, after nearly seven weeks of fighting.



A four-day truce in the Israel-Hamas war began on Friday, with hostages set to be released in exchange for prisoners in the first major reprieve during seven weeks of a war that have claimed thousands of lives.

The two sides had agreed to silence guns and stop bombings from 7:00 am (0500 GMT) in a conflict that erupted after Hamas’s murderous raids into Israel on October 7.

As part of the agreement, 13 women and children held hostage in Gaza are due to be freed at 4:00 pm, followed by a number of Palestinian prisoners from Israeli jails, according to Qatari mediators.

Over the four days, at least 50 hostages are expected to be freed, leaving an estimated 190 in the hands of Palestinian militants.

In exchange, 150 Palestinians prisoners are expected to be released.

For Gaza’s two million-plus residents, the deal brings a promise of respite from weeks of sustained Israeli bombardment.

The territory’s Hamas government says the war has so far killed about 15,000 people. According to the United Nations, 1.7 million of the territory’s 2.4 million people are estimated to have been displaced.

At dawn, thousands of people who had fled to areas near Gaza’s border with Egypt were preparing to return to their villages.

In Khan Yunis, Palestinians loaded their belongings onto carts, strapped them to car roofs, or slung bags over their shoulders, crowding streets to return to their homes in the city’s east after leaving temporary shelters.

Minutes after the truce took effect, 16-year-old Omar Jibrin emerged from a hospital in the south of the territory where he and eight family members had sought refuge.

“I’m going home,” he told AFP as he began the journey.

However, Israeli warplanes over southern Gaza dropped leaflets warning people not to head back to the north.

“The war is not over yet,” the leaflets read. “Returning to the north is forbidden and very dangerous!!!”

Around 15 minutes after the truce began, sirens warning of incoming rockets sounded in several communities along Israel’s border with Gaza, the Israeli military said, without providing further details.

About two hours into the pause, dark plumes of smoke could still be seen rising over northern Gaza, an AFPTV livecam showed.

The exact number of casualties in the war is impossible to independently confirm, but for many Palestinian and Israeli families, the truce came too late.

“The last thing he said to me was that he was waiting for the truce on Friday,” Fida Zayed, a Gazan whose 20-year-old son Udai was killed in a recent air strike, told AFP.

“The living here are the ones who are dead.”

Preparing for the worst

Qatari officials said the “first batch” of 13 hostages released would be women and children from the same families.

Speaking to AFP on condition of anonymity, a Hamas official said the hostages would be released “by 4:00 pm at the latest”.

Teams of Israeli trauma experts and medics await them — along with specially trained soldiers who, according to guidelines, will promise to keep them safe.

They will also carry a child’s favourite food item, be it pizza or chicken schnitzel.

An Egyptian security source told AFP that Israeli security officials, International Red Cross-Red Crescent staff and an Egyptian team would deploy to Rafah, on the Egypt-Gaza border, to receive the hostages, who will then be flown to Israel.

AFP has confirmed the identities of 210 of the roughly 240 people abducted during cross-border attacks by Hamas on military posts, communities and a desert music festival.

At least 35 of those taken hostage were children, with 18 of them aged 10 or under at the time of the Hamas attack.

Israel says around 1,200 people, mostly civilians, were killed in the unprecedented October 7 attacks when Hamas militants broke through Gaza’s militarised border.

Little is publicly known about which hostages remain alive, or in what conditions the hostages have been held.

“Given the barbaric nature of the attacks and captivity we can only prepare for worst-case scenarios,” said Moty Cristal, a retired Israeli military official with experience in hostage negotiations.

The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said it had received “a first list of names” of those due to be released and been in contact with the families. It did not specify who was on the list.

“We’ve already been on an emotional roller coaster for 47 days and today is no different,” said Eyal Kalderon, a cousin of Ofer Kalderon, who is among those held captive in Gaza.

Maayan Zin, whose eight- and 15-year-old daughters Ela and Dafna, are also among the hostages, posted on X, formerly Twitter, that she had been informed their names were not on the list.

“This is incredibly difficult for me; I long for their return,” she wrote.

Asked if he expected kidnapped American toddler Abigail Mor Idan to be in the first batch of hostages to be released, US President Joe Biden said: “I’m keeping my fingers crossed.”

‘A safe environment’

Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails will also be freed on Friday, Qatari foreign ministry spokesperson Majed Al-Ansari said, adding a list of names had been approved.

The agreement entailed a “complete ceasefire with no attacks from the air or the ground” and the skies clear of drones to “allow for the hostage release to happen in a safe environment”, Ansari said.

Israel has published a list comprising the names of a total of 300 Palestinians who could be released, should the truce outlive the initial four-day period.

Among them are 33 women and 267 children and youths. The list also includes 49 Hamas members.

The armed wing of the Islamist Hamas movement agreed to the truce deal, which is also intended to provide aid to Gazans struggling to survive with shortages of food, water and fuel.

Palestinian prisoners will be released from three jails in Israel and the Israeli-occupied West Bank, then taken to the Ofer military camp on buses, an Israeli official told AFP on condition of anonymity, adding that they were expected to be freed in the evening.

Governments around the world have welcomed the agreement, with some expressing hope it will lead to a lasting end to the war.

Israeli officials, however, say the truce will be only temporary.


Share this post via:
Continue Reading
Click to comment
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments