Connect with us

Politics

AGC to decide on action against Ong Beng Seng after Iswaran’s case conclusion

AGC will decide on investigations into billionaire Ong Beng Seng post-Iswaran’s case completion. Emphasizing CPIB’s scrutiny of others, AGC awaits the culmination of evidence against Ong and related parties.

Published

on

SINGAPORE: The Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) is set to decide on the investigations involving billionaire hotelier Ong Beng Seng once the case against former Transport Minister S Iswaran concludes, as stated by a spokesperson on Thursday (18 Jan).

In response to media queries, the AGC highlighted that the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) examined the involvement of “other persons” in the matter, including Mr Ong.

“The Attorney-General’s Chambers will take a decision in respect of the investigations against Mr Ong and others, after the case against Mr S Iswaran has been completed, including the presentation of evidence in court,” a spokesperson said.

Mr Ong, who also serves as the managing director of Hotel Properties Limited (HPL), was arrested on 11 July 2023, the same day Iswaran was taken into custody.

He posted bail of S$100,000 and was permitted to travel starting 14 July, subsequently surrendering his passport to the CPIB.

During the time, HPL clarified that no charges had been filed against Mr Ong, and he was called upon to provide information regarding his interactions with Iswaran.

The company assured that Mr Ong was fully cooperating with the anti-corruption agency.

HPL’s nominating committee determined that Mr.Ong could continue fulfilling his duties and responsibilities.

Iswaran at the time was instructed to take a leave of absence and had his passport confiscated following the CPIB arrest.

The CPIB’s discovery of incriminating information against Iswaran was first indicated to Prime Minister Lee on 29 May 2023.

A formal interview with Iswaran was deemed necessary by CPIB’s Director and was approved by the Prime Minister on 6 July 2023, leading to Iswaran’s subsequent arrest five days later.

On Thursday morning, Mr Iswaran entered a plea of not guilty to all 27 charges linked to his interactions with Ong Beng Seng.

The court heard that the 27 charges included two counts of corruption under the Prevention of Corruption Act, 24 counts related to receiving items from individuals with whom he had business dealings in his capacity as a public servant, and one charge for obstructing the course of justice under the Penal Code.

According to charge sheets, between 2015 and 2022, Iswaran received “valuable things” exceeding S$384,000 (US$285,000) from Ong.

These included tickets to shows, football matches, and multiple editions of the Singapore F1 Grand Prix.

Bringing Formula One to Singapore

Mr Ong, a Malaysian based in Singapore, is renowned as the exclusive shareholder of the Singapore Grand Prix (GP), serving as the organizer of this annual sporting event, which forms part of the Formula One World Championship.

In addition, the 79-year-old boasts a global hotel portfolio and commands a substantial net worth of S$1.7 billion.

Mr Ong and his wife, businesswoman Cristina Fu, are esteemed members of Singapore’s 25 wealthiest couples.

In 2007, he secured the deal to bring the prestigious Formula One race to Singapore, primarily due to his rapport with former Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone.

In October 2022, Singapore once again hosted the Formula 1 Grand Prix after Singapore GP, backed by Ong and the Singapore Tourism Board, secured the franchise to host the night race for another seven years through 2028.

This was the fourth and longest contract renewal, with previous deals ranging between four and five years.

Then-Transport Minister S Iswaran said that the decision to host Formula One for another seven years came after thoroughly evaluating the long-term benefits that such an extension could bring to Singapore.

The Ministry of Trade and Industry and Singapore Tourism Board fund 60 per cent of the S$135 million night race costs each year, with race promoters Singapore GP footing the rest.

Previous controversy of Nassim Jade condo incident to Maldives leasing scandal

The recent controversy is not the first time Mr Ong has faced such issues.

The 1990s saw questions over luxury condominium units sold by his company to Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew and his son.

The units, part of the Nassim Jade and Scotts 28 condominiums, were allegedly sold at special discounts.

This raised eyebrows due to Mr Ong’s familial links with the Lees – his uncle, Lee Suan Yew, was a director at HPL.

Although then Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong cleared the Lees of any wrongdoing in 1996, the incident has remained a notable mark on Mr Ong’s business record.

Furthermore, an investigative report by the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project in 2018 revealed allegations of corruption involving Mr Ong in the leasing of two islands in the Maldives.

The report suggested that HPL had sidestepped Maldivian laws requiring public tender for island leases, instead conducting direct negotiations with Maldivian officials.

It was also alleged that a US$5 million payment made for the lease of Fohtheyo island had been siphoned off through a company associated with friends of the then Maldivian Vice President Ahmed Adeeb. Mr Ong did not respond to these allegations.

Share this post via:
Continue Reading
12 Comments
Subscribe
Notify of
12 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Looks like OBS is too big fish for AGC to digest. He’s linked to the Lee dynasty so AGC must choose properly how to fillet this one if not Lucien in hot soup. Maybe the best they can do is fine him to make the whites look like they’re doing their job. It helps if one is minted and connected.

the most is only a fine. peanuts .tsk tsk tsk

They will not touch OBS.

OBS should be demanded to stand shoulder to shoulder in the dock with IS.Something is not right for him to be left out in this crucial moment.If one recalled how the Lee’s were ultimately forced to cough out those “discounts” in public as donations for a good course ,OBS is not a simple fellow.This guy has multiple cards close to his chest which he can play just to ensure that he can continue to play the same old games in his own court unhindered.So sad to witness such unusual things continue to happen in our once Sunny Singapore.

1. OBS has other ‘patrons’ that may wears white and may be used as bargaining chips?

2. If OBS case go 1st and he is found guilty, then Iswaran cannot be protected anymore?

3. Now if Iswaran is acquitted, there will be no case on OBS.

Hmmmmmmm…….

The AG has to hold on to his weapon of mass destruction, to think till the cows come home to fire or not.

Because Touroam Board may NOT be SQUEAKY CLEAN too.

Tourism Board is also tainted. Let’s state it categorically – something cannot be revealed or else….

As far as ong beng song is concerned it is business n quan xi which was advocated by goh kayu!

in any case why don’t convene pariahment for iswaran to put up his ministerial statement like nassim jade and donate the miserly sum of $400k to charity

, …… .. …… will they throw the book at Ong or will Ong have a few skeletons up his well worn and well travelled sleeve, … to negotiate a “slap on the wrist” and welcome to conduct “business as usual”, and everybody lives and profits happily thereafter !!!

None of these white maggots are totally clean..
Its only whether allowed to dig deeper or not…

Will they ( AGC ) back date till Nassim Saga?!?

Trending

Discover more from Gutzy Asia

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue Reading