Connect with us

Crime

Malaysian authorities arrest TikTok user for alleged over US$1 million death threat against PM Anwar

On Tuesday, Malaysian authorities confirmed the arrest of a 34-year-old suspected of making criminal threats against PM Anwar Ibrahim.

The suspect, in a deleted TikTok video, allegedly offered RM5 million (approximately US$1.07 million) to harm Anwar, ministers, or political figures.

Published

on

MALAYSIA: Malaysian authorities on Tuesday (28 Nov) confirmed the arrest of a 34-year-old individual suspected of issuing criminal threats against Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim.

Tan Sri Razarudin Husain, the Police Chief, disclosed that the person believed to be in control of the @Jaiadani89 TikTok account was apprehended on Padang Tembak Street in Kota Bharu, Kelantan.

“The suspect, a 34-year-old local man, is currently remanded for three days starting today until 30 Nov, and further investigations are being carried out by the Serious Crime Investigation Unit (USJT) of the Criminal Investigation Department (JSJ) Bukit Aman.”

“The investigation is conducted under Section 507 of the Penal Code for the offence of criminally intimidating by anonymous communication,” he said in a statement issued on Tuesday.

The investigation is also being conducted under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 for the improper use of network facilities or network services, among other things.

On Sunday,  a screenshot from a TikTok video gained widespread attention on social media, wherein a user offered RM5 million (approximately US$1.07 million) to anyone who would fatally harm Anwar, government ministers, or members of a political party.

The video has since been removed.

The Police Chief previously confirmed the receipt of a report regarding these threats.

Another suspect was arrested for alleged disrespectful remarks against Malaysian King on social media

Furthermore, Razarudin revealed that the Malaysian police detained an individual suspected of making derogatory remarks towards the Yang di-Pertuan Agong (the King) on social media.

He identified the suspect as a 37-year-old local man believed to be managing the Cik Mat Cik Po’ Facebook account, who was apprehended in Kota Bharu, Kelantan on Monday.

“The suspect uploaded comments with seditious tendencies to incite hatred or contempt or to stir disloyal sentiments against any King.

“The suspect is remanded for four days starting yesterday until November 30, and the case is being investigated under Section 4(1) of the Sedition Act 1948 for inciting hatred and insult against any ruler,” he said.

The investigation is also conducted under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 for the improper use of network facilities or network services, among other things.

“Both cases are still under investigation by the USJT, and the PDRM advises the public not to engage in any speculation that may disrupt the investigation process.

“The public is also reminded to be cautious and sensitive to sensitive issues, especially those involving public alarm and national security, through social media,” he said.

Share this post via:
Continue Reading
1 Comment
Subscribe
Notify of
1 Comment
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

lol tiktoks again.

Trending

Discover more from Gutzy Asia

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue Reading