Connect with us

Singapore

Fire erupts in HDB flat at Crawford Lane; SCDF says blaze linked to charging e-bike battery

Firefighters from the Singapore Civil Defence Force swiftly responded to a late-night fire at Block 463, Crawford Lane.

The incident, on the 15th floor, saw SCDF personnel extinguishing the blaze caused by a charging Power-Assisted Bicycle (PAB) battery.

No injuries were reported, and 35 residents evacuated prior to SCDF’s intervention.

Published

on

SINGAPORE – Firefighters from the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) swiftly responded to an emergency call reporting a fire at Block 463, Crawford Lane around 11:50.p.m., on Monday (11 Dec).

The incident unfolded on the 15th floor, where thick black smoke billowed from a residential unit, SCDF said on Tuesday.

Upon arrival, SCDF firefighters from Kallang Fire Station immediately took charge of the situation. “Forcible entry” was executed into the unit where the fire originated.

Fortunately, no occupants were present in the premises at the time of the incident.

35 residents evacuated, fire caused by charging PAB battery: SCDF

The fire, primarily concentrated in the living room, was successfully extinguished by SCDF personnel using a water jet.

In a Facebook post, SCDF highlighted that the swift response of the firefighters played a crucial role in averting the spread of flames to adjacent units.

Approximately 35 residents had evacuated the affected block before the SCDF’s intervention, ensuring the safety of the building’s occupants.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.

Additionally, preliminary investigations conducted by SCDF point towards the origin of the blaze being a battery pack of a Power Assisted Bicycle (PAB) that was charging in the living room.

In light of this incident, the SCDF urges the public to exercise caution when charging such devices.

Specifically, individuals are advised not to leave Personal Mobility Device (PMD) or PAB batteries charging for extended periods or overnight.

SCDF also cautioned consumers against purchasing or using non-original batteries, emphasizing the importance of using certified and reliable charging equipment.

To further enhance public awareness and safety, the SCDF has released an accompanying infographic containing essential fire safety tips regarding PMDs and PABs.

This educational material aims to inform the public about best practices to prevent similar incidents and ensure the well-being of residents in high-rise buildings.

(Photo: Singapore Civil Defence Force/ Facebook)

Fire incidents involving PABs and PMDs

According to SCDF’s mid-year report released in Aug (22), there were 27 fire incidents involving PABs and PMDs in the first half of 2023, marking a 22.7 per cent rise from the 22 fires recorded during the corresponding period in 2022.

Specifically, among those cases, eighteen were related to PABs, reflecting a 28.5 per cent increase from the 14 cases recorded in the first half of 2022.

Additionally, there were nine cases associated with PMDs, indicating a 12.5 per cent rise from the eight cases reported in the corresponding period the previous year.

This year, in May, SCDF also reported a case in which three people were hospitalized after a fire broke out in a Sengkang flat where a PMD had been left charging in the living room.

During the firefighting operation, three individuals were found in separate bedrooms within the affected unit and were successfully rescued by SCDF firefighters.

They were all conveyed to the Singapore General Hospital for treatment due to smoke inhalation, and as a precautionary measure, the police and SCDF also evacuated another three individuals from a neighboring unit.

Before SCDF’s arrival, approximately 50 residents from the block had already evacuated.

Share this post via:
Continue Reading
4 Comments
Subscribe
Notify of
4 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

how many more battery fires when gahmen force everyone to use EVs instead of diesel engine vehicles?

75 PAP MPs voted in favour of the “Tharman Bill” which he himself signed. How is it no PAP MP has put up for legislature the ban of these batteries to be charged in Public Housing endangering lives and properties? There must be charging ports available away from Public Housing for a fee. How many fires are deaths must occur before the 75 PAP MPs will act?

It appears strange, to me. As I wonder, each incident of fire at HDB flats apparently invariably, most of the time, attributed to charging of bikes or PMDS. None seems to point out like, faulty, wiring, electrical cables, due to aged flats say, for eg.

Trending

Discover more from Gutzy Asia

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue Reading