MALAYSIA: A 29-year-old woman recently died after she underwent a botched breast enhancement procedure by a beautician at a residence in Skudai, Johor Bahru.
Tan Wei Shan, a mother of two, died on 2 August, allegedly due to bacterial infection in the chest area.
According to a report by New Straits Times, she underwent the procedure at a double-storey house in Taman Mutiara Rini.
Assistant Commissioner Rahmat Ariffin, the district police chief of Iskandar Puteri, verified that the victim’s husband filed a police report on the same day she passed away.
Rahmat further stated that there has not been an official complaint filed with the State Health Department as of now.
He advised the victim’s family to formally submit a complaint to the department so that a comprehensive investigation could be conducted.
According to Johor Health and Unity Committee chairman Ling Tian Soon, the situation would be examined according to Act 586 of the Health Care and Services Facilities Act 1998, which mandates that all private healthcare facilities and services, including beauty treatment centers, adhere to standard operating procedures (SOP) and hold appropriate professional licenses.
The victim’s husband, a 35-year-old businessman, revealed that his late wife initially refused to proceed with the procedure but the beautician insisted she had to proceed as the tools had been purchased.
The husband, who declined to be named, shared a screenshot of a conversation on WhatsApp between his late wife and the beautician with the media.
Based on the picture, the victim told the beautician that she was waiting for the doctor.
The beautician also sent, “Please do not tell the doctor anything, or else I will be reported.”, and “I am only helping you,”
The victim offered a simple reply, “Yes, I know.”
The husband also shared the beautician’s Instagram account, which has around 11,700 followers.
He also took to his social media to describe the sequence of the events that lead to his wife’s passing.
He said not long after the procedure which was done on 29 July, Tan felt dizzy and later complained of immense pain in her chest.
Seeing her condition deteriorate further the following day, he promptly took her to a clinic and subsequently rushed her to a private hospital for urgent medical care, as advised by the clinic.
The husband also shared that his wife at first only wanted to do micro-facial “thread pulling” surgery after she was introduced to the beautician through a mutual friend four months ago.
It has also been reported that the beautician injected hyaluronic acid into the victim’s chest. Hyaluronic acid helps the skin stretch and flex, and reduces wrinkles and lines.
According to him, his wife was unaware that the beautician was unlicensed.
He also plans to sue the beautician.
A dermatologist from Malaysia took to his TikTok account regarding this case and the dangers of breast fillers.
In his video, Dr Lim highlighted three major red flags of this incident.
He said, “Until today, there is no Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for breast fillers, so all breast fillers you see at the market are dangerous.”
He added to inject anything into the body; you need medical knowledge.
And his last point is the treatment is not done at the clinic.
He also advised viewers to exercise caution when seeking treatment, emphasizing the importance of ensuring that procedures are conducted by individuals who are both professional and licensed.
Netizens also commented they had seen a lot of unlicensed beauticians and salons providing various injection services on social media.