Connect with us


Police investigating alleged negligence in the death of Balinese bodybuilder Justyn Vicky

Balinese bodybuilder Justyn Vicky tragically dies after a 210kg barbell crushes him at The Paradise Bali Gym, sparking investigations into possible negligence.



INDONESIA: The bodybuilding community mourns the loss of Justyn Vicky, a prominent bodybuilder from Bali, who tragically passed away after being crushed by a 210-kilogram barbell.

The incident occurred at The Paradise Bali Gym, located on Jalan Danau Tamblingan, Denpasar Selatan, Bali, on 15 July.

Vicky, who sustained a broken neck, had reached out to his mother, Busia, through a video call to seek her prayers before undergoing surgery, a moment that left his mother in tears.

“He said, ‘Mother, don’t cry, just pray. I’ll be going into surgery,'” Busia recalled when met at her residence in Dusun Sumbermalang, Desa Ajung, Kalisat District, Jember, as reported by detikJatim on Monday (24 Jul).

Distraught by the news, Busia immediately traveled to Bali along with Vicky’s ex-wife and their child. They arrived at the hospital around 11 PM local time, where Vicky was undergoing the operation.

However, their hopes were shattered when the doctors delivered the devastating news of Vicky’s passing. He succumbed to his injuries on 16 July at 00:05 WITA.

“An hour later, I received the news of Vicky’s demise. Yes, I was sad and devastated at that moment. But, you know, that’s the reality. I tried to stay patient, even though I kept crying,” expressed Busia. Following his passing, Vicky’s body was transported to Jember and laid to rest at the family cemetery on 17 July.

The South Denpasar Police are currently investigating the incident for possible negligence.

“Yes, it’s currently being suspected as negligence. The investigation is still ongoing,” stated South Denpasar Police Chief, Police Commissioner Assistant (AKP) Ida Ayu Made Kalpika Sari, in a phone interview with detikBali on Wednesday (26 Jul).

The police have summoned Vicky’s companion, Brendan Michael Southwick, a 39-year-old Australian citizen who was present during the accident, for questioning.

However, Southwick has yet to appear before the South Denpasar Police.

Police Commissioner (Kombes) Jansen Avitus Panjaitan, the Head of Public Relations of the Bali Regional Police

According to Police Commissioner (Kombes) Jansen Avitus Panjaitan, Head of Public Relations of the Bali Regional Police, Vicky was assisted by Brendan when he encountered difficulties with the heavy barbell.

Despite their combined efforts, they couldn’t lift the weight, and it caused Vicky to fall backward in a seated position, leading to the barbell hitting his neck and resulting in a suspected fracture.

The Paradise Bali Gym staff immediately called the Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD) of Denpasar City for assistance. At that time, Vicky was still conscious but complained of neck pain, leg weakness, and tingling in his fingers. He was rushed to Siloam Hospital for immediate medical attention.

Following this, Vicky was transferred to the Wangaya Regional General Hospital in Denpasar for surgery. Sadly, he never regained consciousness and was declared dead on 17 July around 2 pm. His body was subsequently taken to his hometown in Jember, East Java.

Before his untimely demise, Vicky had communicated with the Klungkung Bodybuilding and Fitness Association (PBFI) while receiving intensive treatment at the hospital on 15 July, according to I Wayan Subamia, Chairman of the National Sports Committee (KONI) Klungkung.

Moreover, KONI Klungkung revealed that Vicky, like all other athletes under their association, had insurance coverage under the Indonesian Social Security Employment Agency (BPJS) since he passed away while training.

Vicky had proudly represented the Klungkung contingent in the Bali Provincial Sports Week (Porprov) 2022 as a member of PBFI Klungkung.

As of now, Paradise Bali Gym has not released any statements regarding the incident that claimed Vicky’s life. The manager, Jiko Suherman, declined to comment and requested understanding on the matter.

The Indonesian Bodybuilding and Physical Fitness Association (Perbafi) has expressed their belief that negligence played a role in the tragic accident. Kemalsyah Nasution, the President of Perbafi, stated, “From the beginning, we knew that this was, without a doubt, human error,” speaking to detikBali on Tuesday (25 Jul).

Kemalsyah emphasized the importance of using a towel or sponge cushion at the back of the neck when lifting weights to avoid direct contact with the barbell. He also pointed out that at least three companions should be present to assist an athlete when attempting lifts beyond their capability, and they should be in a hugging position to provide more substantial support.

The Head of the Criminal Investigation Unit (Reskrim) of the South Denpasar Police, First Police Inspector (Iptu) M. Guruh Firmansyah stated that they are still investigating the incident that led to Vicky’s passing.

So far, three witnesses from Paradise Bali Gym have been questioned, but the police have not yet reached a conclusion on whether any criminal action was involved. “For now, we can’t draw any conclusions about it (the possibility of a crime). After completing all the investigations, we will provide updates,” he said, on Monday (24 Jul).

The bodybuilding community and sports enthusiasts worldwide are mourning the loss of this talented athlete, while authorities continue their efforts to ascertain the cause of the tragic accident.

Share this post via:
Continue Reading
Click to comment
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments