Two Singaporeans among 197 detained in Batam casino-style gambling raid as police probe wider network
Indonesian police detained 197 people, including two Singaporeans, during a raid on an alleged casino-style gambling operation in Batam. Police seized about Rp7.79 billion in cash and gaming equipment.

- Two Singaporean citizens were among 10 foreign nationals detained during the Batam raid.
- Police seized about Rp7.79 billion in cash and a range of gaming equipment.
- Investigators are examining the roles of all 197 detainees and possible wider networks.
Two Singaporean citizens were among 197 people detained by Indonesian police during a raid on an alleged casino-style gambling operation in Nagoya, Batam, on Saturday night (15 August), authorities said.
The operation was conducted by the Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) of the Indonesian National Police, together with the Riau Islands Regional Police and Barelang Municipal Police, at a shophouse in the Nagoya area at about 9.30pm local time.
Police said 10 foreign nationals were among the 96 people identified as players at the premises. They comprised seven Chinese citizens, two Singaporean citizens and one Malaysian citizen.
The remaining 86 players were Indonesian citizens.
The raid took place at Nine Stage Lounge and Bar in the Nagoya area. Police said the investigation had been under way for two to three months, following information from members of the public and media sources in Batam.
197 people detained
Deputy Head of Bareskrim Inspector General of Police Nunung Syaifuddin said officers were still examining the roles of all 197 people detained during the operation.
They included the alleged owner, identified only by the initial A, two managers, five cashiers, one supervisor, 25 chip exchangers, 65 dealers or bookmakers, two marketing staff and 96 players.
Police had not yet determined the legal status or level of involvement of every person detained at the time of the initial investigation.
Nunung said investigators were continuing to establish who had played key roles in the alleged gambling operation.
“We are developing this activity until everyone’s role can be determined, including who the key players are,” he said, according to Antara.
The investigation will be handled by Bareskrim. Police said individuals found to have played major roles would be taken to Jakarta for further legal proceedings.
Singaporeans among foreign players
The presence of two Singaporean citizens was confirmed by Indonesian police as part of the group of 10 foreign nationals detained during the raid.
The foreign nationals consisted of seven Chinese citizens, two Singaporean citizens and one Malaysian citizen.
Police have not publicly identified the Singaporeans or disclosed further details about their identities.
The investigation was still ongoing, with authorities examining the roles of those detained and the evidence recovered from the premises.
Rp7.79 billion (S$600,000) in cash seized
Police also seized approximately Rp7.79 billion (about S$600,000) in cash during the raid.
Around Rp7.297 billion was found inside three safes, while a further Rp500 million was linked to chip-exchange activities, according to investigators.
The authorities also seized gaming equipment and other items allegedly used in the gambling operation.
The equipment included 16 machines described by police as trophy machines, 54 skater machines, 20 mahjong machines, one dice machine and 14 fish-shooting machines.
A quantity of gaming chips was also seized and was still being counted when police gave their initial account of the raid.
Police investigate possible wider network
The Batam City Regional House of Representatives has welcomed the raid but urged investigators to look beyond those found at the premises.
Anwar Anas, secretary of Commission I of the Batam DPRD, said the operation demonstrated the authorities’ efforts to tackle gambling in the city.
“We appreciate the law enforcement action by Bareskrim together with the Riau Islands Police and Barelang Police,” he said.
Anwar said investigators should determine whether a wider network was operating behind the alleged gambling activities, including those who may have controlled or benefited from the operation.
He also called for the legal process involving the 197 people to be conducted transparently and professionally, with their individual roles taken into account.
“What is more important is how the authorities can uncover the main actors and the network behind these gambling activities,” he said.
Police warn Batam gambling venues
Nunung also issued a warning to operators of night entertainment venues and gaming arcades in Batam against conducting gambling activities.
“If you do not close immediately, I will crack down on you,” he said.
Indonesian authorities are investigating the case under provisions of Law No. 1 of 2023 on the Criminal Code relating to the organisation of gambling.
Investigators are also applying provisions relating to money-laundering offences.
The gambling provisions cited by police carry a maximum prison sentence of 15 years, according to Antara.
Police said examinations of the 197 people and the evidence seized during the raid were continuing. The authorities are expected to determine the respective roles of those detained before deciding on further legal action.












